Tuesday 10 September 2013

Song No. 1 - Real Fine Love

The idea for this music type blog came from a book I read several years ago called 31 Songs by Nick Hornby. In 31 Songs he writes about, funnily enough 31 songs that he loves or once loved, all of them significant to him.

I don’t intend to stop at 31 songs. I just want to keep on going; after all I currently have 12,780 songs on my iPod. I don’t love all of them and some get very little airplay unless I am on shuffle. I just want to be able to choose a song tell you all a little bit about it and hopefully provide a link so that you can listen to it yourself. Some of these songs you may know, others will be new to you. You may find yourself liking songs and artists you have never heard of.

I may post a song a day for a couple of weeks or only one a week. At this stage I don’t know. It will cross many music genres but please give each song a chance.

Where do I start, well that was difficult? In the end I went for a song that I think is one of the best opening songs ever and deserves to be the first song in my ‘Never Ending Songs’ blog.

Song no. 1 - Real Fine Love – written and performed by John Hiatt from the album ‘Stolen Moments’

 
Well I never went to college babe,
I did not have the luck,
Stole out of Indiana in the back of a
Pickup truck.
With no education higher
Than the streets of my hometown
I went looking for a fire
Just to burn it all down.


I have never seen John Hiatt in concert but if I ever do I will be really disappointed if he does not roll on stage and hit this song from the get go. I can’t think of a better opening song.  I have never been to Indiana or ridden in the back of a pick up truck but I can feel this character wanting to get out of town and set fire to the world.

This track comes from ‘Stolen Moment’s’ probably his best album. I first heard this at a friend’s house.  ‘Dave’ you know who you are and fell in love with it. Several John Hiatt albums later and it still get’s played regularly and is still available for only £4.00, used from Amazon.  Produced by the great ‘Glyn Johns’ (look him up if you don’t know who he is), this track also has his son Ethan playing drums and guitars.

Well that is the first song done and dusted. I hope you take a listen and let me have your comments. I will wherever possible also give you the ‘cast’ list from the song. As the songs progress I am sure you will see the same names appear regularly.

For example from the cast below Ethan Johns will appear again as he produced and played on several Ryan Adams albums and believe me Ryan Adams will appear here very soon.  Pat Donaldson played with Nanci Griffith and Richard Thompson. Michael Henderson is a ‘Dead Reckoner’ one of my favourite record labels and you will hear from him again. Ashley Cleveland appeared with ‘Transatlantic Sessions’ recently and you will see tracks from their many albums here as well. The whole business is incestuous especially in the Folk and Country genres.  Enjoy and see you all again soon.

Cast

John Hiatt – Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar
Pat Donaldson – Bass Guitar
Ethan Johns – Drums, Electric and Rhythm Guitar
Michael Henderson – Slide Guitar
Ashley Cleveland – Background Vocals
Russ Taff – Background Vocals


 

1 comment:

  1. Problem with the link to the song if you are looking on a mobile device. I have added a new link to the blog to use if on a mobile. This goes to a video of John Hiatt singing this song on the David Letterman show. Listen to the actual album version from your PC if possible.

    ReplyDelete