Wednesday 18 September 2013

Song No. 5 - Cousin Jack



Song No.5 – Cousin Jack written by Steve Knightley and performed by Show Of Hands


Where there's a mine or a hole in the ground
That's what I'm heading for that's where I'm bound
So look for me under the lode and inside the vain,
Where the copper the clay the arsenic and tin
Run in your blood and under your skin
I'll leave the county behind I'm not coming back
Oh follow me down cousin Jack.





Five songs in and I get to the first Show Of Hands song. I have 313 of their songs on iTunes, some are duplicated across best of and live albums but this still represents the largest number of any artist. Show Of Hands are my favourite band and choosing a first track is difficult. 

However the choice was made for me as I am going to St. Ives in Cornwall tomorrow to see them twice at the St.Ives festival. On Friday night I am seeing a special Patrons set where Steve Knightley and Phil Beer from the band are presenting an informal, illustrated concert revealing how the West Country and Cornwall in particular has influenced their music and careers. 

This is a one off event and I am really looking forward to this. On the Saturday night they are joined by third band member Miranda Sykes for a full Show of Hands concert. The song ‘Cousin Jack’ is about Cornwall and tin mining and always provides a good sing a-long at the concerts. 

I first saw them at the Cambridge Folk Festival in 2007 and I have now seen them 18 times from venues as big as The Albert Hall to as small as a Church in Marlborough. They are fantastic musicians and I never tire of seeing them live. Steve Knightley is one of the best English songwriters we have and hopefully if you do not know of his songs you will go and out and find out more and come across songs such as AIG, Country Life and Roots. 

It is difficult for me to say how much I love Show Of Hands and I know that I probably listen to more of their songs over and over again than any other band. I know that many more of their songs will be included in this blog.  You should start with ‘Cousin Jack’ and them move on, you will not be disappointed. I think everybody needs to listen to Show Of Hands and see them in concert. They are advocates of copying their music to pass on to others to encourage you to buy albums and go to concerts. If you would like a sample CD please let me know.

I have detailed the cast for both the original album version and the re-recorded version for the best of album. You will see that the vocal group Fishermen’s Friends are on that version. Show Of Hands championed them even before they signed a major record deal. I saw them join Show Of Hands and sing this at the Show Of Hands regular summers concert in Abbotsbury sub-tropical gardens in July 2009. Sadly Trevor Grills one of the singing group and tour manager Paul McMullen were killed in a tragic accident at a theatre in Guildford earlier this year. Cousin Jack is on the new Fishermen’s Friends album released in August.
Cast

Original Dark Field Album Version - 1997
Steve Knightley – Vocals, Guitar
Phil Beer – Vocal, Mandolin
Matt Clifford – Piano

Roots – Best of Album  - Recorded Live in 2007

Steve Knightley – Vocail, Guiar
Phil Beer – Vocal, Mandolin
Miranda Sykes – Double Bass
Matt Clifford – Piano
Tom Palmer – Vocals
Fishermen’s Friends - Vocals





No comments:

Post a Comment