Tuesday 24 September 2013

Song No.6 - Lhasa



Song No.6 – Lhasa written and performed by Cole Stacey and Joseph O’Keefe

 
‘It’s too bad
It’s too bad
Because the freedom fall
I don’t have the way with all
But I never should have said that.’







One from the leftfield for my next song. I have only owned this song for 4 days but I keep playing it and it deserves to be heard by many more people.

Cole Stacey and Joseph O’Keefe supported Show Of Hands at the concert in St. Ives on Saturday night. They are a duo from Devon who are both very good musicians. Cole has a great voice and it seems that Joseph can play any instrument.  I bought the CD ‘For Hire’ at the concert and I have been playing it ever since. 

I chose the opening track Lhasa as this is currently my favourite track. Lhasa is a direct homage to Lhasa de Sela, who inspired much of the percussion, including sounds produced by a chimney piece and a water bottle. Lhasa, was an American-born singer-songwriter who was raised in Mexico and the United States, and divided her adult life between Canada and France. Unfortunately she died of cancer on New Year’s Day 2010 aged 37.

I am now trying to find out as much as I can about this duo and try and get to see them live again soon. The album is available on iTunes as is a earlier EP. Check it out. They finished the concert with a great version of ‘Wagon Wheel’ a song originally part written by Bob Dylan but finished by ‘Old Crow Medicine Show’.  They also played a Gillian Welch song so that gives you an indication of their musical influences.


Can’t find an in concert version of this song but you can hear it via this You Tube film which has the song playing over some nice photos. Enjoy

Cast

Cole Stacey – Vocals, Congas
Joseph O’Keefe – acoustic guitar, violin, double bass & piano



No comments:

Post a Comment