Saturday 14 September 2013

Song No. 3 - Underneath The Stars



Underneath The Stars written and performed by Kate Rusby

Underneath the stars I'll meet you
Underneath the stars I'll greet you
There beneath the stars I'll leave you
Before you go of your own free will
Go gently








My first female artist and my first folk song. Underneath The Stars is a special song to me as it was Kate performing this song on the BBC highlights of the 2005 Cambridge Folk Festival that started me off on the road to discovering her? I immediately went and bought the album of the same name and also her new album’ The Girl Who Couldn’t Fly’ which had just come out. I loved her music and I loved Kate. She has a voice of an angel and along with ‘Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Nanci Griffith and Heidi Talbot will be the angels singing to me in heaven…

I have seen Kate many times in concert and have all her albums. This song remains special and I love hearing it in concert particularly if she has her’ brass boys’ accompanying her. My wife always says that I have a stupid smiley grin on my face every time I see Kate and I am sure she is right. I met her at the 2007 Cambridge Folk Festival and I think this photo proves the point.

 
I read a very good book a couple of years ago, ‘Bringing it all home’ by Ian Clayton.  It has been described as ‘One of the best books about popular music ever written’ but it is more than that. It has a slight political edge and also describes growing up in a Yorkshire mining town. Be warned it has a very sad and tragic ending. I recommend you seeking this out and reading it. My local Oxfam Books and Music shop currently has a copy on its shelves.  Anyway in this book Ian describes meeting Kate Rusby and I quote.

‘On the night Kate Rusby played I made a bit of a closet of myself by heckling her to play the Iris DeMent song ‘My Town’ halfway through her set when she had planned to do it as an encore.

I wanted to meet Kate Rusby after that and hoped that she wouldn’t remember it was me spoiling the ambience at The Wardrobe. I got my chance when I was commissioned to present a series called ‘My Yorkshire’ which explored contemporary Yorkshire through its musicians, artists and sundry other characters. Most of the filming was done at Kate’s mam’s house. We sat on the settee and by way of interview just talked about Kate’s love of folk music and where she was from. I asked her if she’d got a guitar and would she play me something. She said ‘Do you still want me to play that Iris DeMent song and then she giggled. 

Two years after I had rudely shouted out from the audience at Leeds I sat on Kate Rusby’s mam’s settee and got my own private concert. ‘My Town’ is a lovely song about where you grow up and the things you recall about what shapes you. Kate sang it four times for different camera angles, each time I stared wide-eyed at her like a kid who’d just rubbed the sleep out of his eyes on a Christmas morning.’

The last sentence is how I feel when I see or listen to Kate
 
I have three versions of this song. The original from the album of the same name. The new version recorded for her latest album 20 which celebrates her 20 years in the business where she gets to re-do 20 of her favourite songs and a live version on of that 2005 Cambridge Folk Festival appearance on the ‘Cool as folk’ compilation album which has 36 live performances from different artists at Cambridge over the years.

I find the dedication in the ‘Underneath the Stars’ album cover to be very poignant. It says’ Especially to John. May we lay underneath the stars for many years to come’. This dedication is to John McCusker her husband, producer and band member at the time. Sadly they are now divorced but Kate is now happily married to Damien O’Kane another musician who now plays in her band and on the new album.  John McCusker is married to Heidi Talbot another of my singing angels. It all works out happily in the end.
Cast

Underneath The Stars Album version

Kate Rusby – vocal, acoustic guitar
John McCusker -ukelele
James Mackintosh – wee bells
Richard Marshall – cornet
Jim Fletcher – Eb horn
James Hartley – tuba
Robert Shires – flugel horn
Michael Dodd - euphonium

20 Album version

Kate Rusby – vocal, acoustic guitar
Brass – Grimethorpe Colliery Band



No comments:

Post a Comment